- Grant Opportunities Delivered to Your Virtual Door Nov 20, 2019
When developing an SBIR/STTR strategy, seeking solicitations posted by desired agencies, on either SBIR.gov or the agency websites, is usually required. Often times, this step is time consuming and offers few immediate results to match the innovator’s skillset or concept. To maximize the chances of success, the innovator must be diligent in reviewing solicitations upon ... Read more »
- Time to Award Can Vary Widely by Agency Nov 20, 2019
The SBIR and STTR policy directive recommends that most agencies issue awards no more than 180 calendar days from solicitation close.
The federal General Accounting Office (GAO) recently presented a report on the timeliness of agencies’ SBIR and STTR proposal review and award issuance. This report examines the time agencies spend issuing SBIR and STTR awards ... Read more »
- NSF Pilots New SBIR/STTR Application Process Mar 28, 2019
The National Science Foundation (NSF) announced a new, pilot program for their SBIR/STTR proposal submission process. On March 5th, the NSF implemented full “Submission Windows” for invited proposals (as opposed to specific deadlines). The first Submission Window is active now and will close on June 13, 2019. The next will open June ... Read more »
- Innovating for Developing Economies Mar 27, 2019 Living in one of the largest economies in the world, innovators in the United States naturally want to tap into their home market. However, not all technology is suited for the relatively advanced infrastructure and lifestyle of the US. For instance, while clean water is still a priority here at home, systems are ... Read more »
- NC’s Kepley BioSystems NSF SBIR Focuses on Horseshoe Crabs Mar 27, 2019 Every year, hundreds of thousands of wild Atlantic horseshoe crabs (HSCs) are captured and ultimately returned to the water by the biomedical industry. Their blood is required to conduct drug and device sterility testing to protect the safety of millions of patients every year, worldwide. Recently, demand has increased for Atlantic HSCs due to the ... Read more »
- DoD SBIR/STTR – Funding Beyond Shields and Swords Jan 25, 2019
When deciding to test the SBIR/STTR waters, many innovators find themselves focusing on one or two of the 11 agencies that participate in the SBIR program. This happens because, generally, an agency may have an obvious sweet spot for solicitation topics based on its core mission. For instance, Health and Human Services (HHS/NIH) is most ... Read more »
- It’s all About the Value Proposition Jan 25, 2019
Think about successful businesses. Whether a small or large business, traditionally funded or via angel or venture capital, all of these have business fundamentals that remain constant, regardless of funding source. It is safe to say that the same business fundamentals that make traditional businesses successful make growth ventures good investment opportunities.
It’s all ... Read more »
- Conduct a Patent Search and Keep Quiet Jan 25, 2019 You have an idea for an invention, but you really don’t know what to do next.
If you want to pursue a patent, there are a number of steps to take. The first two things we can suggest are to conduct a search and don’t tell anyone about your idea.
Do a search (i.e., ask)
Conducting a search ... Read more »