The Technology Commercialization Services team provides one-on-one business counseling and advice to small business owners, university researchers, and entrepreneurs looking to advance their innovations to the marketplace. These innovations typically involve intellectual property that contributes to a strong competitive advantage in the marketplace, and serves as a foundation for the business. In 2011, the Technology Commercialization Services team worked with over 350 clients and provided nearly 12,000 hours of business counseling.
The NC SBTDC was the first Small Business Development Center in the nation to be officially recognized as providing specialized Technology Commercialization services. The SBTDC is also North Carolina’s designated Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) assistance resource. Our Technology Commercialization Services team has helped North Carolina become a leader in SBIR/STTR awards. Each year, our clients successfully compete to receive tens of millions of dollars in R&D support through this program. In 2011, the SBTDC provided assistance to clients who were awarded over $36 million through the SBIR/STTR program to support critical R&D of their innovative products. The NC SBTDC was the first Small Business Development Center in the nation to be officially recognized as providing specialized Technology Commercialization services.
How We Help
Build a strong business foundation.
- Develop a business plan
- Design a marketing strategy
- Evaluate intellectual property
- Create financial projections
Accelerate your success.
- Recognize needed skill sets and gaps
- Assemble an effective team
- Communicate your value proposition
- Identify prototype production resources
Discover financing opportunities.
- Identify funding and financing options that match your situation and goals
- Understand investor requirements
- Assess your readiness for investment
- Get ready to make your pitch
Produce competitive funding proposals.
- Understand the differences between SBIR and STTR
- Stay on top of program changes and updates
- Develop a funding strategy that incorporates grants and contracts
- Receive comprehensive proposal reviews at no charge